Ami
15 posters
Go down
Ami
Ami
Administrator

New Zealand Music Awards Empty New Zealand Music Awards

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:34 pm
Thanks to Pukeko for reminding me.. these are tonight, well NZ's tonight.. not sure when that is for us haha.  Anyway, there was a thread awhile ago about this and them being nominated for People's Choice... well they were nominated for three other awards as well!    Very Happy

Nokia Album of the Year

Anika Moa - In Swings the Tide
Flight Of The Conchords - Flight Of The Conchords
Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning
Scribe - Rhymebook
Tiki Taane - Past, Present, Future

Steinlager Pure Best Group

Shihad - Beautiful Machine
The Phoenix Foundation - Happy Ending

Breakthrough Artist of the Year

Cut Off Your Hands - Blue On Blue
Tiki Taane - Past, Present, Future

Last edited by Ami on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:40 pm
My bad, I guess the boys were only contenders for the People's Choice award and they didn't make the cut. Sad
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:01 am
I was surprised actually about the people's choice, I have only heard of one or two of the nominees. I wasn't miffed they didn't get through to be honest, most of the nominees would nomally not get a look in for an award since they are little local acts.

Anyhoo, they're actually red-carpeting as we speak. The awards start in an hour and a half. I'll be back with a live cross then   Smile
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:05 am
WOOT!

Live updates from NZ!

I can't wait. Smile

Last edited by 2 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:57 am
*Ahem*

Kia Ora, Good Evening. Pukeko here reporting live from NZ on the NZ Music Awards, for which a couple of familiar lads are nominated for a couple. But til then, you're getting the whole low-down. Like it or not, it gives me something to do   Very Happy

Whoa. Its very big this year. And red. And sparkley. Its at Vector Arena this year which is a BIG venue, they're really making a big deal of it this year

Kick started by Tiki Taane (most nominations this year), performing Tangaroa (god of the sea) with a whole kapahaka group. He was also joined by his dad, which was lovely. Spine tingling stuff.

Dai Henwood is hosting, he's a local comedian. Gave some spiel about Maui. And called wikipedia the maori god of knowledge = gold.

Also hosting is Michael Franti from Spearhead, who promised to move here if Obama doesn't get elected. He presented the following two awards:

First award for the best Dance/Electronica Album went to Recloose for Perfect Timing. Man, the guy that accepted it has a weird accent, like a faux-american one.

Next is for the Best Aotearoa Roots Album (there was a roar from the crowd on this one). The winner- Tiki Taane! Yay. Very deserved. He had to beat out Katchafire and Kora too so thats and achievement.

I'll be back....
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:06 am
Oooooh it's like I'm there!  

This is exciting!   Eating popcorn

Last edited by Ami on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:17 am
Next, Best Urban/Hip hop Album. Won by Scribe for Rhymebook. Meh, he's had his day in the sun. Its the 5th time he's won it. Oooh! They've lost him, literally. P-Money had to run up and do his thankyou speech for him. Yikes. Oh wait he's arrived! All good. He sounds like he's been out the back boozing.

Change of presenters to Campbell Smith from RIANZ, the organisation that run the show. International achievement catagory now, but first a lovely little rememberence speech about a couple of people lost from the industry recently, Rob Guest and Mihirangi Toka.
International Achievement Award presented by the Prime Minister, Helen Clarke. To a surprisingly approving crowd. Announced sales of NZ music in NZ up 18%. Two awards this year, the first to Savage. He's gaining momentumn in the States at the moment, he's been doing a bit with Akon and is signed to Universal.

Next winner for international achievement...Flight of the Conchords!!! Wow, they showed a lot of footage I haven't seen before. The crowd is happy about this one. Obviously they are not there to get the award but showed a video of their acceptance speech. Watch out on YouTube for that one, I'd say.

Now a performance from Cut Off Your Hands.

....See you again soon...
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:19 am
AHHHHH SOMEONE BETTER PUT THAT CLIP UP SOOON T_T
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:21 am
And because I know you want details, Bret was in the orange jersey with penguins on it. Sorry, wasn't paying much attention to Jemaine   Wink And it looked like they were in charactor and in their apartment from the show. Was great.

Argh, I hate Ads...
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 am
OMG!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!

Thanks for this Hilary!  

My heart is all a-twitter now at the thought of seeing their acceptance speech.  

Oh and congrats to our boys!   Very Happy

Last edited by Ami on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:36 am
Dai Henwoods back. Doing some rap thing. Taking the piss out of Christchurch, where I happen to be living at the moment   Razz

People's Choice Award now. The twat from C4 I don't like is presenting it with a competition winner. And the winner is... The Parachute Band. I think they're a christian rock band, so erm ok.

Yay! Dave Dobbyn, who is a lengend in NZ music, is presenting the Best Rock Album. The winner...Shihad? Really? I like them and all but they win something like every year. AND they were up against The Phoenix Foundation and Liam Finn. I'm not overly happy. Only one of them is there to get the award, the rest apparently got trapped out the back.

Breakthrough Artist of the Year! Here we go....FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS AGAIN! Oh if they could just keep winning, so we could see more of these videos! In this one they're in their beds, fully in charactor. Very dead pan. Bret decides the award can live on his bedside table, then they say good night and go to sleep. Very cute.

Ugh, Anika Moa performing. I don't like her. I hope she doesn't win tonight...
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 am
AHHHH!!! I AM DYING!!!! I WISH I COULD SEE THESE CLIPS!!!!! *cries in corner* T_T
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:40 am
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

In their beds!!  Awww!  I love them!!

I'm so happy that they're winning.  When they win, I feel like I've won as well.   Love 3

Last edited by Ami on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:44 am
Millen Baird (another local comedian) presenting for Best Music Video...The Brunettes! It is a great video, they totally deserved it. Must've taken ages to make.

Interview with Shihad. Talking about how the award would make a good bottle opener, and how it's not as pointy and dangerous as it once was. And how hard work pays off. etc. Whatever. I really though Liam Finn deserved it the most, or the Phoenix Foundation I would've been happy with. But whatever.
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:47 am
I was really pullin' for The Phoenix Foundation or Liam Finn. Sad
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:55 am
Peter Urlich, another prominant NZ music figure. Ugh, he is waay to old to get away with saying "Big Ups"
I'm confused as to what he's presenting. Oh! Highest radio play, highest selling single and highest selling album. All to the same person for the first time in the awards history. And this goes to Op Shop, unsurprisingly. See the NZ thread if you want to see who they are.

Boring thankyous speech. Jason Kerrison is away in London dammit, he's an entertaining guy.

Shihad performing now, I mean they are great no doubt but their last album seemed poppy as opposed to rocky. At least it was more upbeat than their last one which was really angsty, they'd just had a really bad experience in the states. I like the concept of the new album though, Jon Toogood (lead) said it was inspired by the pictures sent back from the voyager space probe, and how it made him think the universe is too damn big, even for god. That's deep, man.
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:58 am
Aww and FOTC have two now!   Excited

Last edited by Ami on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:02 am
Cast from a local drama to present Best Male Solo Artist. C'mon, Liam Finn please....Yay!!!! Damn I'm good. He's away touring in the States, in Boston, so some other random personaccepted for him. As this guy said "Showing the yanks what he can do." I guess this guy in a record label exec or something. He has a bit of an Aussie accent.

Interview with Op Shop -1, his band mates are claiming Jason Kerrison is not actually at a wedding but in jail, and they hope he will be extradited home soon.
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:04 am
There's already an article posted online that says FOTC won all 4 categories they were nominated for...

Weird.

Last edited by 2 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:05 am
And this coverage is sooo not live like it was advertised. For 2 reasons:
a) ads. Many ads.
b)A host slipped up and said "its not even 9 o'clock yet". Its about half past.

Not cool man.
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:07 am
Damn journalists! Way to ruin surprises. Sad
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:08 am

Amily wrote:There's already an article posted online that says FOTC won all 4 categories they were nominated for...

Weird.

...and there's your expailanation. Don't you hate that.

Grrr, Anika Moa won Female solo artist. Whatever. At least it didn't go to Annabel Faye. That would've been the equivalent of Paris Hilton winning over there.

Should I keep going? Either or. It's not like theres any surprises now.

Last edited by 239 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:09 am
I'd like it if you kept going.. like I said, I'm enjoying your play by play. Smile

It's up to you though...
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:16 am
Alrighty   Smile

Oscar Knightly presenting Best Group, what a funny guy. I love him. And we now know who won this one.

Yay another video! That was great one, they were in camo gear and bret was stabbing the gaps between jemaines fingers on the table with a plastic knife. Then this hand just reaches in the frame and places the award on the table and they're like "oh wow, thats great. we're not even a proper group, there's only two of us. The Phoenix Foundation should've got it". And then he goes back to what he was doing, but using the award. Then Jemaine has a go, but hits bret. He says sorry hes not as good at it.

Kora now performing, wow they are awesome...
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:18 am
LOL! I seriously can not wait to see these videos. I have a weakness for Jemaine in camo gear. *sigh*

Also, thinking I should look further into NZ music since I've heard of hardly any of these artists.
Sponsored content

New Zealand Music Awards Empty Re: New Zealand Music Awards

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum