Go down
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:11 pm
A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters XhwlVRS

Heart eyes  Heart eyes  Heart eyes

"Bret McKenzie Says He’s Writing a Fairy Tale Comedy Musical Akin to LABYRINTH That Involves “Singing Dragons and Monsters”
Wahhh  Wahhh  Wahhh  Wahhh  Wahhh  Wahhh  

While speaking with Steve, McKenzie said that he’s currently in the process of developing a screenplay of his own with the help of Bobin:

“I’m in the middle of a script for a kind of—it hasn’t got a name yet but it’s a fairy tale comedy musical, sort of akin to Labyrinth or something like that. I’m developing and that script’s halfway through. James Bobin’s helping me. I’m the official writer but we’re developing it. I want to make a comedy musical with singing dragons and monsters and stuff. [It’s] live-action, so it would be a mixture of The Muppets and The Princess Bride.”

McKenzie went on to caution that it’s still very early days on the project so there’s no telling how much it will change when/if it comes to fruition, but he seems highly enthused by the idea:

“No title yet but it’s definitely my favorite thing I’m working on at the moment. It’s early, though, it’s early. It’s still developing.”

Collider

There's a video at the link and a full interview (re: Austenland) will be posted soon.   Excited Excited Excited
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: Random Bretness

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:35 pm
That project sounds *awesome* !!!!! It's like all of my favorite 80's films combined! Very Happy

Also, how adorable* does Bret look in that photo?  Bret  Blowing a kiss

*(mischievous, but adorable).
emira
emira

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: Random Bretness

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 am
I guess we'll have to wait a loooong time before we see it finished. Sad love Excited 2
Jairyanna
Considering second-hand underpants

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 am
That... would be *so* much awesome Excited
emira
emira

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Mon

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm
Bret McKenzie Tells Us More About His Labyrinth-Style Musical
By Scott Pierceon March 10th, 2014 at 8:26pm

What do you do after you've won an Oscar for your music in a Muppets movie? Make music for the sequel, obviously. But with the March 21 release date for Muppets Most Wanted fast approaching, we want to know more about multi-talented actor, writer, and composer Bret McKenzie's project he teased last year: A fair tale musical in the vein of Jim Henson's 1986 classic, Labyrinth. I spoke to the Flight of the Concords mastermind yesterday about how the project is coming along, what to expect, and whether he can just take my money Veronica Mars-style. Here's the stuff that got me more excited than I already was:

The script he worked with James Bobin on is done. McKenzie really loves puppets:

We've finished the script. I started writing songs for a musical fairy tale. I grew up loving The Dark Crystal. That was one of the few VHSs we had. We had two - that and National Velvet. We watched The Dark Crystal a lot in my house. There's something about puppets, Muppets in particular, that are so much more interesting, fallible, and real. Obviously, they're not real, but how strange is it that a puppet can be more real than most computer animation? People are getting better at animating things with flaws, but there's something about something that's handmade that immediately gives it a life and a character that I think surpasses animation.

He denies having a title, but he's just not ready to share:

Do you have a working title for the script?

No.

No? Just Untitled Fairy Tale, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth-like Project?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's got a long untitled title. It is exciting. I'm hoping to get that going soon.

The movie will be whimsical, big, and have a theatrical release:

How big should we expect this to be? Will it have a giant theatrical release?

Yeah, I guess so. It'll be a big movie. It's inherently quite big because of the nature of it. There's an epic quality to it. I always love being drawn into another world. What I feel like hasn't been done is that there's a lot of dark fairy tale interpretations being made, but I don't think there's a film that's been made that is playful. It's going to be a comedy fairy tale. You're going to have monsters, but they're going to sing funny songs. That excites me - like a singing dragon doing a funny song.

EPIC!
source: Moviepilot

Epic indeed   Excited 2 Excited 2 Excited 2
Ami
Ami
Administrator

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Bret writing fanatasy film for Warner Brothers

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:29 pm
Excited 2  Excited 2  Excited 2

BRET MCKENZIE OF FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS WRITING FANTASY FILM FOR WARNER BROS. (EXCLUSIVE)

Known for being one-half of the music duo Flight of the Conchords, Bret McKenzie has broken into film as a triple-threat of acting, music, and writing. His newest project, a fantasy film for Warner Bros. Pictures titled MOONLAND, taps him as the screenwriter and reunites him with The Muppets director James Bobin.

The film follows a young, 11 year-old girl who winds up in a magical world via a homemade flying bike. She immediately gets wrapped up in an exciting adventure when she’s wrongfully imprisoned and escapes to go on a mission with a knight to rescue a princess. While this may sound like the same story that’s been told time and time again, with the unique humor of McKenzie and Bobin behind it, it’s bound to be an original take.

Back in 2013, McKenzie revealed to Collider that he was working on a fairy tale musical comedy with Bobin that had elements pulled from the likes of Labyrinth and The Princess Bride. At the time, the project didn’t have a title, but it could very well be that it now does and these two projects are one and the same.

Bobin is also set to produce the film, with Jesse Ehrman and Jon Gonda of Warner Bros. overseeing the film for the studio.

The Tracking Board

Last edited by Ami on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: Bret writing fanatasy film for Warner Brothers

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:55 pm
It sounds wonderful and Bret & James make an excellent team.

I wonder if we'll ever get an update on the animated series he was doing for FOX? Pray Pray Pray
emira
emira

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: Bret writing fanatasy film for Warner Brothers

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:03 pm
We've been waiting 3 years already.
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:16 pm
By the time this is made it will have been about four years. It will finally graduate into existence.
Zabel
Zabel
I'm not crying

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:23 pm
Cool!!! Does Bret prefer off-screen stuff over acting?
Ami
Ami
Administrator

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:15 pm
Just moved these over from Bret's photo thread today because when they were first posted we had no idea what the hell they were from and I have since discovered that they actually belong in here.  Very Happy

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters WDYhhTB
mattdshane  Today’s session was olde school

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters RC4bEkf
source: Bret's IG

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters TUqQwjy
k.schaal Guys look at Bret’s classic features. I pale in comparison!

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters 4Cnc6Zx
source: IG

Last edited by Ami on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
HollyBobz83
HollyBobz83
I'm making a lasagne... for one

A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters Empty Re: A Fairy Tale Comedy Musical with Singing Dragons and Monsters

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:00 pm
I hope this is coming out of development hell now; it sounded promising from the interview this weekend - when he mentioned a director had had to drop out before, I really wanted the interviewer to ask if he'd considered asking Taika Very Happy
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:17 pm
HollyBobz83 wrote:I hope this is coming out of development hell now; it sounded promising from the interview this weekend - when he mentioned a director had had to drop out before, I really wanted the interviewer to ask if he'd considered asking Taika Very Happy

I wish they would work together! I'd love to see that happen again someday. Love 3 I actually wish all three of them Jemaine included would work together again. It would be amazing, no doubt. Very Happy
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Here's the interview mentioned above where Bret talks a little bit about this project.

A great listen and yes, it does sound like we just might get to see this one day yet. Laughing
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum