Chloue
Venus
onlyalways
19 posters
Go down
Ami
Ami
Administrator

R-r-random! - Page 4 Empty Re: R-r-random!

Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 am
emira wrote:From a recent interview with Kristen Schaal,

Do you think they should bring it [Flight of the Conchords] back?

"
I do think it should come back. I think there are more songs to sing and more stories to tell. I got drunk around Jemaine's a few weeks ago and I was like, 'When's the movie?!' I just threw it out there and I got no response. But I'll continue getting drunk with them and see if I can work on those guys."
[url=source][/url]

Does Kristen know the key to Jemaine's heart? :#hmm#: :#cheer#: :#beer#: :#jem#: :#cheer#: :#stirthepot#:
:#haha#: Go Kristen! :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#:

ADD: Found this from [url=another article][/url]... a little more specific. :;
):

And for those of you out there who wish that “Flight of the Conchords” could have continued beyond its two seasons, in some form, Schaal feels the same. “I think there's more songs to sing and more stories to tell,” she said. “I just got drunk around Jemaine [Clement] a few weeks ago one night and was like, ‘When's the movie?’ I got the guts to just throw it out there. But I got no response. So, I'll continue to get him drunk, and see if I can lure him to write the script.”
:#lol#: :#evilgrin#:

I reiterate: Go Kristen! :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#stirthepot#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#:
emira
emira

Sun May 08, 2011 2:55 pm
:#lol#: Whichever version is true, I hope Kristen will get what we all want :;
D: :#cheer#:
emira
emira

Wed May 11, 2011 1:12 pm

:#lol#:
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Wed May 11, 2011 8:29 pm
emira wrote:

:#lol#:

:#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#:
emira
emira

Thu May 26, 2011 4:55 pm
One more proof of how much Guardian loves FOTC, Taika and Kiwis in general :#love3#:

If there's one thing the Phoenix Foundation won't abide, it's dicks. When it comes to dealing with other bands, says Luke Buda, the leonine frontman for the New Zealand six-piece, all you ask is that they're "
friendly and nice"
. "
Yeah,"
agrees Samuel F Scott, leonine frontman No 2, "
you should not be a dick."
This is a persistent concern for them. There it is in the title of the B-side to their single Buffalo: Dickheads Abound. And it's a theme tackled by the Phoenix Foundation's Wellington contemporaries Flight of the Conchords, too, in their hipster-slaying Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor.

There is a discernible national flavour to this anti-dick stance, part of a laconic, diffident character that, Buda says, resists "
the attitude of being able to really talk up what you do … It's just not very New Zealand."

Buda glances at Scott for verification. He obliges. "
It's not very New Zealand."

[...]

"
I think there was a real time-and-place thing in Wellington, in the late-90s, early 2000s,"
says Scott, "
where there were all these places that existed in the middle of the city – a lot of different studios, different spaces, different theatre things, people learning how to make movies, different bands."
Phoenix Foundation had the run of an old church in the central city;
dub band Fat Freddy's Drop had a studio around the corner;
five minutes' walk away, film-maker Taika Cohen had a floor he shared with Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords.

"
So you had all these people doing things in their own time, in their own way, in their own spaces, and if you look at the people who had those spaces, a lot of them are internationally successful,"
Scott says. "
It's kind of remarkable. People like Jemaine and Bret and Taika, they had that opportunity to have a warehouse space and do crazy theatre things for their friends, or whatever, at drunken parties."
[url=source][/url]

:#inlove#:
emira
emira

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 am
Carol Brown and Doctor Who :#rofl#: :#love3#:

someone on tumblr said that it would be better to use TARDIS instead of Rose and I agree with her :;
D:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:29 am
[size=150:3lmw9lsy]Trust: Conchords have it, politicians don't
Last updated 11:15 20/06/2011

R-r-random! - Page 4 Ouxrh5.jpg

Renegade politician Hone Harawira is at the bottom of a poll of trusted New Zealanders, and the Flight of the Conchords near the top.

The former Maori Party MP, looking to regain his Te Tai Tokerau seat under his Mana Party banner, is dead last in the Reader's Digest New Zealand's 100 most trusted people survey.

He is joined by MPs from across the political spectrum in the bottom 10, along with broadcasters Paul Henry and Paul Holmes.

The Flight of the Conchords duo, Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, enter the top 10 for the first time, at sixth and eighth place respectively. Last year they were 55th and 53rd.

Their rise comes as Sir Peter Jackson falls from sixth-equal last year to 74th place, and All Black captain Richie McCaw fell from 11th to 55th.

Scientists proved to be the most trustworthy in New Zealand, with scientist, inventor and 2010 New Zealander of the year Sir Ray Avery ranking number one, followed by Sir Peter Gluckman, Chief Science Adviser to the Prime Minister, and Sir Paul Callaghan, physicist and New Zealander of the Year 2011.

The Top 10:

1 - Sir Ray Avery, scientist, inventor, New Zealander of the Year 2010

2 - Sir Peter Gluckman, Chief Science Adviser to the Prime Minister

3 - Sir Paul Callaghan, physicist and New Zealander of the Year 2011

4 - The Hon. Justice Helen Winkelmann, Chief High Court Judge

5 - Roger Hall, film, TV and theatre actor, playwright

6 - Bret McKenzie, comedian, actor, and musician

7 - Denise L'Estrange-Corbet, fashion designer

8 - Jemaine Clement, comedian, actor, and musician

9 - Simon Gault, celebrity chef and MasterChef judge

10 - Tony Kokshoorn Grey District Mayor

The other end:

90 - John Key, current Prime Minister

91 - Paul Holmes, broadcaster

92 - Paul Henry, journalist, radio and TV presenter

93 - Jim Anderton, Progressive Party leader

94 - Bill English, Deputy Prime Minister

95 - Pita Sharples, Minister of Maori Affairs

96 - Phil Goff, Labour Party leader

97 - Tariana Turia, Maori Party co-leader

98 - Winston Peters, New Zealand First leader

99 - Rodney Hide, Minister of Local Government

100 - Hone Harawira, Mana Party politician and former Member for Te Tai Tokerau
[url=source][/url]

:#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#: I'm not surprised.

And why do I find it absolutely hilarious that Bret is more trustworthy than Jemaine? :#rofl#: :#shrug#:
introinter2003
Considering second-hand underpants

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:10 am
How cool is this?? XD I find funny that Bret is more trustworthy than Jemaine too, but somehow it makes sense to me. Maybe the puppy eyes, and his character is a bit more naive than jemaine´s, hahaha, but it´s really funny. Poor Jemaine, his ogre look doesn´t make him any favour (when it comes to trustworth polls, of course in a different kind of poll it could be very diferent)
emira
emira

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:02 pm
:#dance#: :#dance#: :#dance#:

Jemaine is so much better at keeping everything in secret. Bret is more open and ready to tell you everything you ask him about, unless he forgets about it. :#lol#:

:#bret#: :#blowkiss#: :#jem#: :#blowkiss#:
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 pm
emira wrote:#dance# :#dance#: :#dance#:

Jemaine is so much better at keeping everything in secret. Bret is more open and ready to tell you everything you ask him about, unless he forgets about it. :#lol#:

:#bret#: :#blowkiss#: :#jem#: :#blowkiss#:

:#rofl#:

Maybe that's it. You can trust Bret because he won't tell anyone because he already forgot about it. :#rasp#:
introinter2003

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 am
this is something that could easily happen to me. I can´t forget to bring my head to workplace every morning just because it is already attached to my neck :;
D:
emira
emira

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:35 pm
introinter2003 wrote:this is something that could easily happen to me. I can´t forget to bring my head to workplace every morning just because it is already attached to my neck :;
D:

You can always forget to use it while at work :;
D:
introinter2003

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:58 am
Oh I wish...but usually I over-use it at work, so when I´m back at home, there isn´t anything more to suck from it, so better I just watch an insubstantial movie like Re-animator (forget about Bergman, Tarkovski, and such, their movies could be hazardous to my health when i´m like this)
emira
emira

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:59 am
:O_o:

R-r-random! - Page 4 Tumblr_llb1yjwCa11qeno7ho1_500.jpg
[url=source][/url]

:#sadd#:
introinter2003

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:43 am
oh nooo, poor guys, give them their eyebrows back!! they look sick Sad
emira
emira

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:07 am
[size=150:20ql7et7][url=Top 10 on-screen David Bowie impressions][/url]

They are no 2, while David Bowie as himself in Extras is no 3 :#lol#:
introinter2003

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 am
Spitting Image´s Bowie looks like Nancy Reagan a lot. Much better is Jemaine´s Bowie, but when I see him I always feel like i´m in a weird dream, where u wanna see someone´s face but you can´t get to do it :#hmm#: :#hmm#: :#hmm#:
emira
emira

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm
introinter2003 wrote:Spitting Image´s Bowie looks like Nancy Reagan a lot. Much better is Jemaine´s Bowie, but when I see him I always feel like i´m in a weird dream, where u wanna see someone´s face but you can´t get to do it :#hmm#: :#hmm#: :#hmm#:

When I watch The Labyrinth now, I always laugh when there are scenes with Bowie, because I immediately think of Jemaine and that Bowie looks like Jemaine's look-a-like who is David Bowie's look-a-like. :#crazy#: :#lol#:
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:18 pm
emira wrote:[size=150:a5odhfb2][url=Top 10 on-screen David Bowie impressions][/url]

They are no 2, while David Bowie as himself in Extras is no 3 :#lol#:

:#rofl#:

Noooooo Now I'm going to have this stuck in my head again.

emira
emira

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:53 pm
via [url=twitter][/url]
This is awesome. The real New Zealand consulate in New York is in a region called Murray Hill. #fotc (cc @rhysiedarby)

I didn't know that! :#lol#:
tanfastic
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:07 am
Yesterday there was a model who looked exactly like Jemaine (glasses and all) on a virtual ad for Nordstroms. I was stunned. Clicked on it but it linked on to other models, no more Jemaine. I will forevemore be scouring those Nordstrom adds....
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:51 pm
tanfastic wrote:Yesterday there was a model who looked exactly like Jemaine (glasses and all) on a virtual ad for Nordstroms. I was stunned. Clicked on it but it linked on to other models, no more Jemaine. I will forevemore be scouring those Nordstrom adds....

I know there is a "
part-time model"
joke somewhere in here. :#haha#: ( :#idea#: )
tanfastic
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:50 pm
onlyalways wrote:
tanfastic wrote:Yesterday there was a model who looked exactly like Jemaine (glasses and all) on a virtual ad for Nordstroms. I was stunned. Clicked on it but it linked on to other models, no more Jemaine. I will forevemore be scouring those Nordstrom adds....

I know there is a "
part-time model"
joke somewhere in here. :#haha#: ( :#idea#: )

Haha shuda caught that myself. :#notworthy#: Still seeing the the Nordie ads (sale ending soon I think) but no Jem. Sad Looked at some of the male models on the link, saw one that coulda been the guy, if they put Jem glasses on him...
emira
emira

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 pm
[size=150:3lnjc7jg]Brilliant Billy: 20 years on
By Susan Pepperell
5:30 AM Sunday Aug 7, 2011

Peter Rowley was giving an after-dinner speech when he got the news that his mate, Billy T. James, was dead.

It was at Wellington Rugby's annual awards;
he told the audience, news that reduced many of them to tears.

"
There were a lot of hard, really hard, rugby players there. It wasn't just 'bugger' and get on with it, it was everyone crying and hugging each other. It was very moving and a testament to the effect he had."

William James TeWehi Taitoko was 42 when he died, his transplanted heart giving up just fewer than two years after the operation. Suddenly the gags, the infectious giggle, the outrageous characters were gone.

Twenty years have passed since the loss of a comedian and performer with a talent so exceptional that New Zealanders loved him in a way they have not loved anyone since.

The jokes this comedian and consummate entertainer told weren't subtle, nor were they new and on paper not that funny. But it was impossible not to laugh when Billy T. came on the telly in a black singlet, yellow towel draped around his neck, to deliver his Te News segment with lines like: "
Well known entertainer Ray Woolf was invited to the birthday party of another well-known entertainer, Howard Morrison OBE.

Anyway, he was the only Pakeha there. Ray said they ended up playing pin the tail on the honky."

Funniest person who ever lived, according to one of his 154,994 Facebook fans. Ask round the comedy and entertainment circuit why no one has come close to equalling his fan base and the reasons are varied:attitudes have changed, James had less competition and was in the right place at the right time, TV opportunities have dried up, or the right talent isn't around.

Rowley, Billy T.'s sketch comedy fall guy and co-writer for several television series, puts it more simply. "
He's our Elvis, you can't replace Elvis."

"
No one's come close,"
says fellow comedian Jon Gadsby. "
It's alchemy, a very special mixture. Pio Terei has elements of it but he's not quite the same."

[size=130:3lnjc7jg]Comedian and writer Oscar Kightley nominates Jemaine Clement, of Flight of the Conchords as another Kiwi comedian who has enjoyed massive success.

"
But there'll never be another Billy T. He existed at a time it was crucial for him to exist and we shouldn't compare him to anyone. "
Everyone adds their own thing. Rhys Darby, Dai Henwood, everyone has their own stamp. It's just that Billy's stamp was massive."

Rowley says James' timing was right and New Zealand audiences were ready for him.

"
After the 1981 Springbok tour the country was racially divided and there was a very nasty feeling around. Billy managed to put his arms around our multi-cultural society and say 'we live in a beautiful country, let's have a laugh at ourselves'."

Gadsby, of iconic Kiwi sketch show McPhail and Gadsby, points out James had been around for years with varying success but in 1985 "
it was like a lightbulb suddenly went on"
. "
Some of it was the right place at the right time, the 80s was such a decade of social change for New Zealand. But some of it was an attitudinal change. The place was ripe for a Maori taking the piss out of a Maori."

Despite the growth in comedy clubs, the 30 or so people who today are able to earn a living as standup comedians, an annual comedy festival that runs for two sell-out weeks and wildly successful television comedy shows, Billy T. remains the standard to whom all others aspire but have, to date, not quite reached. Some argue that today's society is not exactly conducive to great comedy. There may be abundant fodder in the prevailing wind of political correctness, but Auckland University senior marketing lecturer Mike Lee says it has led to greater caution by everyone, including comedians.

"
The PC thing influences absolutely everything we do."
Being PC in Billy's time, says Ian Mune, who directed Billy in Came a Hot Friday, meant a woman working for the postal service was fired for answering the phone by saying "
kia ora"
. "
It's a different time now, comedy has to reinvent itself at different points. Today's comedians have enormous respect for Billy but they don't do Billy comedy."

Rowley laments the fact that sketch comedy has lost favour. "
Billy and I would make general observational comedy, the trend nowadays is not for that. But TV3, bless their cotton socks, seem to be the only ones keeping comedy alive."

Gadsby is of the same mind. He says comedy is pretty much non-existent on TV and that it's almost impossible to get the networks to screen or commission it. He laments the lack of political satire and says sketch shows are needed because they are how people learn their craft.

"
It comes down to network bravery, sadly.They must be wading around the floor kicking aside proposals myself and David McPhail had submitted for comedy shows, it's a great pity really."

Kightley insists the opposite is true, although he says TV is no longer the gate it used to be. "
Comedy now is very cool. The idea of what constitutes it has stretched and there's a plethora of flavours out there."
He says You Tube is partly responsible but "
television is still powerful and an awesome window. There are more avenues opening up onTV for comedians, it's not tokenism."

At the most positive end of the spectrum is Jane Wrightson, CEO of funding agency NewZealand on Air. She says funding for television comedies in the past five years has been "
nothing short of astounding"
. And she can certainly point to a long list: The Jono Project, Wanna-Ben, Pulp Sport, Radiradirah, Jaquie Brown Diaries, Eating Media Lunch ... The most recent and obvious success story is 7 Days, TV3's news-based competitive comedy show which helps pay the bills for at least seven comedians a week.

Wrightson says 7 Days came out of a clear strategy by TV3 to "
do something with Friday nights"
, traditionally a difficult programming time. Because the show garners huge audiences Wrightson says it provides the opportunity for more risky comedy at 10pm.

"
It's easier to have a bit more of a play."
Hence The Jono Project, Wanna- Ben etc. "
Some are creatively brilliant but don't rate as well we would like."
Wrightson cites Madeleine Sami's Super City in that category. "
It was terrific but didn't rate as well as it could."

"
Yes 7 Days is a good idea,"
says Gadsby, but adds that it's only a start and needs to be backed up with a sitcom, a couple of sketch shows, and a political satire. "
But I don't think anyone's interested."
Not so, says Wrightson. She's desperate to fund one but says no one has come up with a decent proposition in a long while.

In the sitcom category New Zealand has only ever cracked it with Gliding On. Since then it's been a vertical drop to Melody Rules, which screened in 1993 and is now generally regarded as the worst sitcom of all time.

Wrightson says the mistake with Melody Rules was taking the American sitcom format and applying it to a New Zealand setting. "
We can't emulate that, we have to find our own way. It has to be authentic which is easy to say and hard to do."

The best sitcoms come out of Britain and America. Australia, says Wrightson, has struggled but found a gem in Kath and Kim.

"
When you think about it, that could have been made here."
Only it wasn't. But we did make Bro' Town, the animated series that described itself as a "
modern fairytale about five Auckland teenagers growing up in the big, bad city"

Wrightson describes it as culture based comedy;
fresh, interesting and hitting all the right marks. Often it did, but as one source said: "
Sometimes it made you laugh;
sometimes it made you want to throw a bottle of Lion Red at the TV screen."
And it's not exactly difficult to draw a line from a group of Pacific Islanders taking the piss out of themselves straight back to Billy T.

Kightley, who co-wrote and performed in Bro' Town, is happy to admit that. "
I do remember as a youngster seeing his stuff, and thinking it would be cool to do that same thing for the Pacific Island community.

"
I was a child of the 70s and loved John Clarke and McPhail and Gadsby and how they showed a mirror up to their community. Billy T. did that for Maori and the country loved that. He broke that barrier."

[size=130:3lnjc7jg]Kightley says Bro' Town couldn't have done what it did, if there hadn't been a Billy T.

"
Everything is linked. The humour he showed has an effect in our minds."
But Kightley says comedy's biggest story of the past decade is Flight of The Conchords and the phenomenal success of the show in the US.

His view is shared by Lee who says that for everything that Billy T. did in shaping our humour, there is no ignoring that today's media environment is a very different place.

"
There was virtually no competition in Billy T.'s day. Now there is so much clutter, so many more competing comedians. What Flight of the Conchords achieved was proportionally so much harder because they have had to survive in a far more cluttered environment."

While some say the Conchords duo had to take their comedy to the US because the networks wouldn't give them a go here, Kightley has a different take. "
That show couldn't have worked over here. It had to show New Zealanders out of the goldfish bowl here;
only in a foreign environment could you see how hilarious they are.

"
And that's the thing. Somewhere in New Zealand there are 10-year-olds at home watching them with dreams forming in their heads. We won't see the fruits of it for 10, 15 maybe 20 years. But it's coming."

Billy T: thanks for the giggles

Billy T. James: comedian, entertainer, actor.
Born: William James TeWehi Taitoko in 1949.
Died: August 7, 1991, age 42. Joined the Maori Volcanics showband in the 1970s honing his performing skills before going solo first in Australia, then New Zealand, with a mixture of impressions, cabaret singing and skits.
* Changed his name because it was "
something the Aussies could pronounce"
* Became a household name in the mid-1980s through television variety show Radio Times, and his selftitled The Billy T James Show. Starred with Peter Rowley and Annie Whittle and best known for his trademark giggle, and wearing a black singlet with a towel draped round his neck while presenting Te News.
* Starred in the Ian Mune-directed film Came a Hot Friday in 1985. James played the Tainuia Kid, a Maori who believes he is a Mexican bandito.
*Awarded an MBE in 1986 for services to entertainment.
* Named entertainer of the decade in 1985 for years 1975-84.
* Had a heart transplant in 1989, returning to the stage a few months later in a variety special called Alive and Gigging. His health deteriorated rapidly following the show and he died of heart failure on August 7, 1991.
*He had wanted to be taken straight to Tainui's Taupiri mountain for burial, but family members took his body from his Muriwai home to a marae in Huntly and Ngaruawahia against the wishes of his wife.
*In 1997 an award named in his honour was presented for the first time. The Billy T. Award is regarded as New Zealand's most prestigious comedy award and is given to New Zealand comedians with outstanding potential. A number of tributes are planned to mark the 20th anniversary of the death of Billy T. James.
* Marae Investigates, TV One today features a tribute and discussion on Billy T. at 10am.
* Billy T: Te Movie, a documentary directed by Ian Mune -premieres Hamilton August 15, then on general release from August 18.
* Billy T: Te Soundtrack released to coincide with documentary.
* Billy-screening TV One, 8.30pm, August 21, 1 biopic based on Billy's life starring Tainui Tukiwaho and Morgana O'Reilly.
* First DVD release of Came a Hot Friday this month.
*Billy T. James The Collection-DVD release of Billy's screen output.
*Alive &
Gigging, Comedy Central, August29, 8.30pm
* The Billy T. James Show-repeats of the original shows Wednesdays, 8.30pm on Comedy Central from August 31.
[url=source][/url]

:#love3#: :#jem#: :#bret#: :#love3#:
tanfastic
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 pm
Did anyone see "
The One Armed Man"
on Curb Your Enthusiasm last night? He was the main guy from "
Mugged"
who did time with Jem...

R-r-random! - Page 4 Curb-car-periscope.jpg
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum