Go down
emira
emira

What will you miss about the show? Empty What will you miss about the show?

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:53 am
The Guardian again [image]

[size=200:ztfuxoy0]What will you miss about Flight of the Conchords?

[size=150:ztfuxoy0]After just two series of sharp, innovative comedy, Flight of the Conchords is bowing out

[size=100:ztfuxoy0]Over 22 episodes, Flight Of The Conchords has made stars of its cast, won a glut of awards and, most importantly, wrestled the funny song back from the evil clutches of Richard Digance. But the final episode of Flight of the Conchords' second season appeared to have an uneasy air of finality. And now that has been rubberstamped. Yesterday a message appeared on the official Flight of the Conchords website reading, "
We are today announcing that we won't be returning for a 3rd season. We're very proud of the two seasons we made and we like the way the show ended."

It's undeniably sad news. While best of the decade lists may overlook the Conchords in favour of The Office, it was one of the most innovative comedy shows of the last few years. In its lo-fi sellotape and string approach to production design it was just as pioneering as The Office and, in Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement's introverted delivery, it was infinitely more charming.

And funny, too –
for a show that only ran for a total of 11 hours, Flight Of The Conchords had an absurdly high hit rate. Especially when it came to the songs: Think About It, The Humans Are Dead, Bowie Song, Carol Brown, Hurt Feelings, Mutha'uckas... these weren't just fillers chucked in to pad out the scripts, they were legitimately good songs that could confidently stand on their own.

And maybe that's why McKenzie and Clement have decided to kill Flight of the Conchords now. Each episode contained an average of two songs. That amounts to a workrate higher than most bands achieve, and most bands don't need to worry about their songs being funny either. A noticeable fatigue was creeping in during the last season, with many new songs either being transparent spoofs of existing songs –
Sugalumps was My Humps, Jemaine You Don't Have To Be A Prostitute was Roxanne, Friends was Only You by The Flying Pickets –
or, in one case, jarring pieces of Korean-language karaoke.

It's still upsetting to see the Conchords go, not least because it represented the best work by everyone involved. Although outside of the show McKenzie remains something of an unknown quantity, Clement's work in films like Eagle Vs Shark and Gentlemen Broncos has been patchy at best. Kristen Schaal's appearances on The Daily Show tend to be exercises in unintentional toe-curling embarrassment. And Rhys Darby –
routinely the best thing about Flight Of the Conchords –
has starred in Yes Man, a Jim Carrey adaptation of a Danny Wallace book. It looks increasingly like the show will go down as the high point of all their careers.

That's assuming that the end of the show really does mark the end of the Conchords. Bret and Jemaine have often broached the possibility of a Flight of the Conchords movie, and yesterday's announcement would seem to suggest that's the direction the duo want to take. But as wonderful as that would be, it's too early for any of us to rely on it. So let's take the chance to mourn them here. What are you going to miss most about Flight Of The Conchords?

[url=Source][/url]

That's a good suggestion. I'll start first: [image]

The world they've created and learning about New Zealand through their eyes (i.e. with some distance, irony and humour). I've found out A LOT about NZ thanks to the show. [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:08 am
I'll miss TV Bret's inventions. [image]

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:14 am
Is it just the TV show that's ending, or does this mean they're going to stop performing and writing new songs?

emira
emira

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:33 am

fouxdufafa wrote:Is it just the TV show that's ending, or does this mean they're going to stop performing and writing new songs?

Just the TV show. They're planning their Australia and UK tours next year. I don't think their creative juices will stop floating with the end of the show ;
).

P.S. WELCOME on the board [image] .
Sponsored content

What will you miss about the show? Empty Re: What will you miss about the show?

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum