Go down
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

The Telegraph - February 12, 2008 Empty The Telegraph - February 12, 2008

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm
From the Telegraph blog:

They were dancing in the streets of Wellington last night - okay, so I made that bit up - after the news that the comedy duo better known as the Flight of the Conchords has become the first Kiwis to win a Grammy since Dame Kiri Te Kanawa more than 20 years ago.

If you haven't seen The Conchords, you should. They're a pair of marginally talented folk singers with a terrible manager trying to make it big in the London and New York alternative music scenes.

What intrigues me is how these two - Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie - are regarded in New Zealand. I've really not been around long enough to know, but having asked around a bit today most people seem to have never heard of them.

I'm not completely surprised by this since in many respects the joke of The Conchords is kind of on the more 'rustic' - for want of a phrase - side of New Zealand.

I seem to remember an Australian friend telling me that when Dame Edna Everage was filling the stalls in all those cringe-making Royal Variety Performances of the 1970s, the 'Queen of the Gladioli' wasn't too big back home in 'her' native Oz.

Is that the same with the Conchords? The NZ TV stations and websites have all faithfully reported the Conchord's great achievement, but somehow I get the feeling that it's not with unequivocal love and affection.

Perhaps a Kiwi reader out there can set me straight.

PS...in keeping with their style the two Conchords learned of the award 'on the internet' in their native Wellington, eschewing the bright lights of an LA Award ceremony.

"I wish my grandmothers were still alive," said Bret McKenzie, "They would be so proud and I could call them and say, `Granny, I've won a Grammy.

The Telegraph - February 12, 2008 Empty Conchords fail to charm fellow Kiwis.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:14 pm
UH, Not True!

Okay, vaguely true for a while before the show came out...  But not anymore.

Cool people knew about them ;-)
caiknbake
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 am
lmao @ "granny, i've won a grammy" Laughing
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:07 am
Yeah, they're exaggerating a bit. They did a "secret" gig at Aro Video, and it was PACKED and pretty insane from what I heard.
Actually I read somewhere about Jemaine being a bit annoyed at the large turn out, but don't quote me on that...

Mostly though they're a big news story, pretty much everyone has heard of them that way. Even my Granny.

The show was on a rather obscure channel too, a good slice of the country doesn't get Prime without SKY (satellite tv).

Bret isn't kidding on the show- 3 channels really is the standard here

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:43 am
Thanks for the NZ insight pukeko!
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 am
No worries giggletycoon.

Just call me the kiwi-cyclopedia   Wink

*crickets*
Sponsored content

The Telegraph - February 12, 2008 Empty Re: The Telegraph - February 12, 2008

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum