Go down

NZ Herald - June 28, 2008 Empty NZ Herald - June 28, 2008

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 pm
Why the Conchords really took flight
28 Jun, 2008

NZ Herald - June 28, 2008 QJzdi8Tl
Bret McKenzie (R) and Jemaine Clement now have their own HBO sitcom.

Herald on Sunday
By: Michelle Coursey

They're New Zealand's hottest international artists, have been nominated for an Emmy - and are now worth millions of dollars.

But it appears a relatively paltry sum of $300,000 was the real reason TVNZ turned down comedy duo Flight of the Conchords four years ago.

That much-criticised decision by TVNZ's commissioners led the Conchords, Wellingtonians Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, to seek fame, fortune and their own show overseas.

Their series, picked up and produced by American cable network HBO, is now an international hit, viewed by millions each week, and has been shortlisted for an Emmy for outstanding comedy series.

Herald on Sunday inquiries have revealed the real story behind TVNZ's decision to turn down the Conchords - it involves money, intrigue and a belief that the pair did not have broad enough appeal.

The saga starts in 2004, when McKenzie and Clement were commissioned by TVNZ to develop a project, and a pilot show was made - a nine-minute teaser called Folk the World - as part of a plan for a 90-minute special show.

The secret pilot was non-transmittable, meaning it could not go to air, but was funded jointly by TVNZ and NZ On Air after TVNZ's general manager of commissioning at the time, Tony Holden, approved development based on a pitch by the Conchords.

TVNZ would not disclose how much it spent on the project, but a source working there at the time said it was a "large amount of money", estimating it was more than $30,000.

TVNZ public affairs spokeswoman Megan Richards confirmed the pilot was made and development was seriously considered, but she said the proposed budget was the issue.

"The guys [Clement and McKenzie] wanted an awful lot of money to make it - we couldn't afford it, and couldn't come to any agreement on it. They then went overseas, where people have more money, and got the deal with HBO."

She added there were also concerns the show didn't have a broad enough appeal.

"We felt it didn't fit quite right with either TV One or TV2. [As the show is now] it was specifically designed for an American cable audience, and that does make it niche programming."

Holden did not want to comment on as he was bound by confidentiality clauses, but said he felt a "strong effort" had been made to get the Conchords to make a local television show.

Clement told the Herald on Sunday in an interview last year that the Conchords "pick on TVNZ because we had written the pilot for them. But also they're the state broadcaster and I think they've got a responsibility to reflect New Zealand culture, which they don't. They take American programmes and copy them."

Independent producer Paul Yates, who developed the script and TVNZ pilot with Clement and McKenzie, said the show that had been planned was not the series HBO eventually made. "It was essentially a mockumentary on the Flight of the Conchords, where the Conchords were part of New Zealand's music history, and proposed the idea that they had been around since the 60s and influenced every major music movement since then."

Yates said the team was not commissioned specifically to make a pilot, but used some of the money they received for script development to create the teaser tape.

TVNZ "really liked it, and really liked the script", but the show was still turned down. "The official reason I was given was that the budget I put in was too high," Yates said. The proposed funding for the special was around $300,000.

Yates said the broadcaster had "missed the boat," and could have investigated further options with the Conchords, but it was worried about taking a risk on them.

"At the time, Bret and Jemaine were kind of cult. Now they're huge, and everyone is saying 'why did we miss out on them?"'

According to Yates, the Conchords were being courted by NBC as well as HBO around the same time, and were frustrated they were being "mucked around" by TVNZ.

"Part of me thinks it is a shame that they weren't discovered early here, but part of me thinks that if they had made a series here, it wouldn't have been as good as what they've done at HBO."

TVNZ's reluctance to commission independent comedy was also part of the problem, Yates said.

An HBO agent for Clement and McKenzie said the pair were "in full writing lock-down mode and are not available for press at all at the moment". The pair are reportedly in America spending the next 10 weeks writing their second series.
Source
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

NZ Herald - June 28, 2008 Empty Why the Conchords really took flight!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:41 pm
wow it took them THIS LONG to write an article about this?
I would have loved to see the mockumentary they were thinking of making... I hope it's still something they consider doing... probably not... but it would be great if they did.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:45 pm
I was just about to post this!  You beat me.   Very Happy Razz
tanfastic
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:46 pm
Thanks fer posting. The guys should just chalk it up as something meant not to happen, to allow them to get the HBO gig which ultimately made 'em bigger than the mockumentary could have. Same for NBC turning them down. I mean NBC woulda given them a way bigger audience, but we never woulda seen the acid trips, girls on man sexual abuse, Mel stalking Bret in the potty, etc. It's not like the show is a dirty show, but it just woudln't be what it is if it was all cleaned up. AM I RIGHT? AM I RIGHT?? (I just love to quote Todd)

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:02 pm

chickenkarma wrote:wow it took them THIS LONG to write an article about this?
I would have loved to see the mockumentary they were thinking of making... I hope it's still something they consider doing... probably not... but it would be great if they did.

you know...I was thinking the same thing when I found it...very strange!

jemaine said
Clement told the Herald on Sunday in an interview last year that the Conchords "
pick on TVNZ because we had written the pilot for them. But also they're the state broadcaster and I think they've got a responsibility to reflect New Zealand culture, which they don't. They take American programmes and copy them."

I think this may be true? someone correct me if I'm wrong...but, he talks about watching all those shows when he was growing up! did he talk about anything that was NZ original??
Katie
Katie
Totally Fine

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:59 pm
step0nmi wrote:New Zealand- Herald on Sunday
Source

That much-criticised decision by TVNZ's commissioners led the Conchords, Wellingtonians Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, to seek fame, fortune and their own show overseas.
Something about this article seems a little tabloid-y to me.    :Smile I'm pretty sure they didn't come over here seeking "fame, fortune and their own show overseas." Weren't they approached by TV people at a comedy festival?

"Part of me thinks it is a shame that they weren't discovered early here, but part of me thinks that if they had made a series here, it wouldn't have been as good as what they've done at HBO."
I obviously have no idea what their show would have been like had it been produced in NZ, but I'm thankful that it happened here instead. Otherwise I might never have heard of them, or any of the other great people from NZ that I've been exposed to by proxy.
paranoidandroid
Beneath a willow tree

Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:26 pm
It sounds like someone is a bit bitter about not catching on to this gem.

"The guys [Clement and McKenzie] wanted an awful lot of money to make it - we couldn't afford it, and couldn't come to any agreement on it. They then went overseas, where people have more money, and got the deal with HBO."

Just check out the structure and word choice made by the PR rep. She makes it seem like that was their agenda. The guys, according to themselves in many interviews, were approached by the likes of HBO.

"We felt it didn't fit quite right with either TV One or TV2. [As the show is now] it was specifically designed for an American cable audience, and that does make it niche programming."

The first part, she is talking about the mockumentary. but then she slips. She refers to the HBO show as if it had been the idea the entire time. THe editor of the story had to "
clarify" for her.

Yep, they surely missed the boat.

Eh, the guys don't need this little bother right now. Let them work in peace.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:28 pm
yea....I guess I could see this as a little tabloidy-y...it was called the "Herald" and looked like a NY Times magazine...but yes, sounded very bitter.

and I think you were right katie....they've said for a long time that THEY were approached...I know they weren't going looking for some HOT show all these years...they just don't seem like the guys to do that
Sponsored content

NZ Herald - June 28, 2008 Empty Re: NZ Herald - June 28, 2008

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum