Go down
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2
Considering second-hand underpants

Hi! Empty Hi!

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 am
Hello, I found the link to this message board on Twitter, and honestly, this place is amazing. There's so much awesome stuff to read through. I discovered Flight of the Conchords a few years ago, around the time they were doing their 2016 US tour, so I guess I'm kind of a new fan, and I instantly just loved them both. The TV show was the first thing I watched, and as much as I loved the show, it was the YouTube videos of their live shows that quickly made them my favourite band/famous people in general, ever (Taika and Rhys are my favourites too). I honestly just love everything Bret and Jemaine do, but their live shows are definitely my favourite, and I was lucky enough to be able to watch them on tour last year in Liverpool, which was just the most amazing thing ever! I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but every so often it just kind of like hits me that I actually got to watch them live, and I'm just like, "
Wow, that actually happened...!"
Heather
I'm making a lasagne... for one

Hi! Empty Re: Hi!

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 am
I JUST discovered FOTC a couple months ago! I was listening to a random Spotify playlist and one of their songs came on...I was hooked right away. I've made my boyfriend watch the show, every movie jemaine is in that I can find, and listen to them everyday. He's a sport since I refer to Jemaine as my husband.
I'm so jealous that you got to see them in concert! I seriously doubt they will ever tour around here
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:52 am
Awesome! Have you seen their two specials as well, the HBO One Night Stand Special and the HBO special they did from the 2018 tour? They're really awesome Smile

I honestly wasn't expecting to ever get to see them in concert, they just suddenly announced it out of the blue on Facebook (well, that's where I saw it at least).
Heather

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:13 pm
I have seen both! Plus any live videos I can find on YouTube. Have you seen the concert they did at the Amoeba? I think it's a record store. I've seen bits and pieces on YouTube, but I found the entire thing and downloaded it. Think it's my favorite so far since it's kind of a small intimate thing.
I'm going to have to keep an eye out for tour dates and just plan to drive! So they tour regularly? Or just sporadically?
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:54 pm
I love the Amoeba concert! Jemaine forgetting the lyrics to Albi was one of the very first YouTube videos I watched of them.

I think they did tour regularly (possibly every year), but since 2013 they've not toured as much because they're both really busy working on all the other projects they do, and from what they say in interviews it seems like it's hard for them to find the time to be able to tour. I think they want to do a NZ tour next though (from what I remember from reading interviews). The last NZ one they did was in 2012 I think, so it's definitely been a while.
Heather

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:34 pm
I love it when Jemaine forgets lyrics! But the Albi one was the best. That's my favorite part of the concert. That and the Tina Turner time hopping story.
I tried to look up concert dates, but it doesn't look like they planning one any time soon. I hope they haven't gotten too busy to tour.
Right now I'm listening to The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium on Spotify. Jemaine really does have an amazing radio voice.
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 pm
Yeah, I really love the Albi video. The bit before the time tripping banter always makes me laugh too, just because of Bret's reaction to everyone shouting out requests, after they'd just asked them if they had any requests. I think it's kind of adorable how he genuinely didn't seem to realise that was going to happen.

I don't think they really forgot any of the lyrics at the concert I went too, or if they did I didn't notice. Bret did however forget where he was (he thought he was in Leeds), that was definitely one of my favourite moments from the night. Oh, he also nearly broke his mic stand too. Well, Matt had set it up all nice for him when they were getting ready to sing Foux Du Fafa, and then Bret started fiddling with it, and the stand/mic just all kind of flopped down, then he was just like looking for Matt as though it was his fault (obviously he was only joking), and Jemaine said something like, "
Well, maybe if you'd have left it like it was, and hadn't been fiddling about with it, that wouldn't have happened..."
That part made me laugh a lot, honestly I think half of the time Jemaine really does act like he's his dad lol.

I need to listen to Uncle Bertie, I've listened to some of it and from what I've listened to, I really enjoyed it, but I just haven't got round to listening to it all yet. I agree about Jemaine's voice, he's really good at voice acting. I really like his Kiri and Lou voice.
Heather

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:54 pm
Yes! Another good moment was when they were singing Robots and Bret's robot box mask thing wouldn't stay put. They were laughing at how silly they looked haha. Now I have to watch it again!
Are you from Liverpool? I know seeing them was amazing! Did they do sugar lumps at your concert? I can only find one concert where they did that one (and a hilarious rendition!!)
It seems like Jemaine likes to change up songs during live shows. Sometimes he can be so silly, I love it! I can see the whole dad thing haha. They have such a different relationship than Jemaine and Taika.
I don't know about Kiri and Lou! You must fill me in! I've kind of listened to Uncle Bertie here and there. Sometimes it's hard to hear for some reason. I'm hoping one day he will narrate one of those audiobooks. I would totally play it when I'm laying down to sleep. His voice is so soothing :p
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:50 am
Yeah, I loved that part too. Robots is one of my favourite songs. I think that version and another one I saw on YouTube, from Melkweg I think it said, are my favourites.

No, I'm from Merseyside but not actually Liverpool. It took about an hour and half to get there by bus (it felt like 5 hours, but I get bored easy, and I just wanted to get there because I was so excited lol), and we stayed the night in a cheap hotel, not too far from the Echo Arena, because the buses are really unreliable and we wasn't 100% sure we'd get back home. They didn't sing Sugar Lumps. I'm sure I've seen videos of more than one concert where they've played it though, but only when they were younger, so unless they don't feel comfortable playing it anymore.

I know what you mean about them changing up their songs, that's one of the things I love about them, is that fact that with the majority of the songs, every video I've seen of them singing the same song has been different in some way, either because they've just added new lyrics on the spot, they've messed it up, or it's just evolved, and each way is awesome.

And yeah, I agree that Bret and Jemaine are different together than how Jemaine and Taika are. I think Bret and Jemaine are a lot quieter together. I think I've heard Bret use the word understated to describe Flight of the Conchords, like I'm sure I've heard/read in interviews that he wanted to keep their show very small, to be different than other comedy acts. And from what little I've seen of the Jemaine and Taika's double-act, the Humourbeasts, that seems more high-energy and louder.

Kiri and Lou is a NZ Claymation cartoon for little kids (so I love it lol). It's set in like a prehistoric world, and Jemaine voices Lou, a purple elephant looking creature. It looks really awesome, and I prefer that kind of traditional art style because so much more effort has to go into making it than just making a 3D model on a computer, which most things do nowadays. As far as I know you can only watch it if you live in NZ, but they have a Kiri and Lou YouTube channel where you can watch short clips of it Smile .
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:10 am
Just wanted to say welcome to both of you. :#wave#:

Glad you've found this place. It was once pretty busy here but has gotten quieter over the years, so not a lot of discussions take place anymore, more so just updates. Feel free to start or reignite any old threads that you like. If you need anything, please let me know. I hope you'll enjoy. :#heart#:
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:35 am
Hi, thank you Smile

Yeah, this place is awesome, it's better than Twitter because you can actually have proper conversations, without having to worry about the 280 (or whatever it is) character limit.
Heather

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:12 pm
Robots is my boyfriend's favorite. I don't know if I can pick a fav!
I'm from the states in North Carolina. I cant see them ever coming here. I'd be willing to travel halfway across the country if I had someone to go with me. I'm slightly alone in my Flight of the Conchords obsession. Maybe they will play sugar lumps when I get to go lol but it makes sense that they aren't comfortable with doing it
I did look Kiri and Lou. I watched some clips and it's super cute! Then I watched one called Feeling Sleepy and literally fell asleep hhaahah.
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:59 am
Cool, is it? It is hard to pick a favourite, I really love all of their songs too, but Father and Son and Robots are probably my favourite ones, so a new and a old song I guess, although to me (and I'm guessing you too), all the songs are kind of as new as each other lol, just because they'd already made all of the songs before we found out about them.

I think they do seem to tour around the US quite a bit Smile . I know what you mean though, but luckily for me my Mum and brother like them too (not as much as me though I don't think lol), so we went together.

Yeah, I think the Feeling Sleepy one is cute. I really like the Look Before You Poo song too (yes, I'm that childish :#haha#: ).
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 am
Heather wrote:I'm from the states in North Carolina. I cant see them ever coming here. I'd be willing to travel halfway across the country if I had someone to go with me.
They played in NC in 2016, so I wouldn't rule out anything. Smile
Heather

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm
They did?! I'm still wondering why I JUST discovered them! That does make me feel better though
Heather

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:01 pm
Father and son is also one of my very favorites! It makes me get teary eyed and laugh at the same time! Not crying is one of my faves too.
What is your favorite Jemaine movie? I've watched all the ones I can find!
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am
Probably What We Do In The Shadows and People, Places Things. Although I do really love Eagle vs. Shark, and Tongan Ninja is amazing too :#haha#:

I really want to watch Predicament, but it's really difficult to find.
Heather

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:52 am
I want to see Diagnosis: Death but I can't find it! I loved eagle vs shark! I watched it twice in a row. People places things was amazing too. I haven't watched Tongan Ninja yet. I'm saving it. Have you seen Don Verdean or Gentleman Broncos? I love how he can play such different characters. He always gets rave reviews too
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:44 am
Diagnosis: Death is awesome, and it's on Amazon in the UK, but it doesn't have very much of Jemaine in it at all. It's been a little while since I watched it, but I think he's possibly in like one scene, and I think Rhys Darby is too. Bret's in it much more than they are, although if I remember correctly I don't think he has that many lines in it, I think he's mostly just like hanging round in the background. I did really enjoy the film though, but I really like New Zealand films anyway, with or without them in it (although with is always better :;
D: )

I've watched Gentleman Broncos, that was really cool. I have Don Verdean on DVD, but I've not actually got round to watching that one yet. Have you watched An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn yet? That's really awesome too, and it has some other really cool people in it that have worked with Jemaine in other stuff, like Aubrey Plaza from Legion, and Matt Berry from the What We Do In The Shadows TV show.
Heather

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 pm
I'm glad you told me they aren't in that movie much! The make it look like they are the main characters! I've been Beverly Luff Linn. It was weird but I really liked it. The same guy made a movie called The Greasy Strangler which is funny as crap! I do have a weird sense of humor though. I think you'll love Don Verdean! Jemaine is so good in it and hilarious!
Jimny_Firestorm2
Jimny_Firestorm2

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:45 am
I've heard or read (I can't remember which, it could be both) Jemaine mentioning The Greasy Strangler, but I know nothing about it, although if it's anything like Beverly Luff Linn I should like it. I don't really know too much about Don Verdean either, but Jemaine's in it, so that was good enough for me lol. I did the same with Bret and Austenland, although I think there's more chance of me liking Don Verdean for reasons other than Jemaine being in it, because it seems more like the type of thing I'd like. With Austenland I only really cared about the Bret scenes. Not that I disliked the other people in the cast at all or anything (I didn't really know who most of them where, honestly), it's just that it's not the sort of film I like, so I was kind of just there for Bret lol.

I did however really enjoy watching Two Little Boys or Deano And Nige's Best Last Day Ever (I can never remember which place calls it which name, it's like Zootopia and Zootropolis lol). That's another one of Bret's films that I think he made around the same time as Austenland, but it was way better and I really loved it.
Heather

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 pm
The Greasy Strangler is like nothing I've ever seen before! If man genitalia offends you then use caution! It's obviously fake but still hah. You will recognize some of the actors from Beverly Luff Linn too.
Don Verdean is very funny even if Jemaine wasn't in it, but his character is hilarious! His accent in the movie kills me!
I haven't seen any of the other stuff you mentioned but I'll have to check it out! I love Bret too! Just in a different way than I love Jemaine :p
Have you seen the Figwit documentary? It shows how sweet Bret is and Jemaine is so cute in it! I love how happy little grin!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum