Go down
emira
emira

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Empty FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:15 pm
Because I don't think I'll go to NY any time soon to walk along the footpaths of Jemaine and Bret there, I thought I can as well check the places in London that I know they've been to. :;
D:

So here's the thread to collect the sights and places in London and other parts of Britain (and maybe Ireland) where the Conchords used to be. I don't have many of them, but with your help, maybe we could create something like [url=FOTC Reality Tour map][/url], but a European / BBC radio show version.

[align=center:j7ia4505]:#cheer#: :#heart#: :#cheer#: :#heart#: :#cheer#: [/align:j7ia4505]

On my last day in London, I went to see the place where the Conchords had their photoshoot with [url=Olivia Hemingway][/url]. The photos were taken at the Great Portland Street tube station.

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0093.jpg

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0056.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

that's the entrance to the station:

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0084.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

the view from the Coffee Stop:

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0086.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

turning left from the station there's this bench:

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0077.jpg

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0091.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

today (I was there in the evening):

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0078-1.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

and the view from the bench (of course I sat there! :#haha#: ):

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Fromthebench1.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

further to the left along the street there is the second bench:

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0096.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

but there's no Grey London anymore, but Pizza Express restaurant:

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0080.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

standing across the street, the bench and what you can see from it:

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0098.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]

I think Bret is standing here at the first bench and the photo was taken along the street. It's tricky, because you can see part of the station entrance in the top left corner, but I think it's been closed since then and there are some shops.

[align=center:j7ia4505]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0035.jpg[/align:j7ia4505]
Venus
Posing like a swan

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Empty Re: FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 pm
:#cheer#: :#notworthy#: :#cheer#: :#notworthy#: Woohoo! Thanks for putting this together and taking those pics on Great Portlant Street! I still need to find those exact places on Great Portland Street. I've walked around there a few times but that was before I knew the photoshoot took place there. I definitely need to properly seek out those spots. Thanks so much! :#thumbsup#: :#angel#: :#blowkiss#:
emira
emira

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Empty Re: FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:49 pm
Thanks, Vesna. :#hug#: I really enjoyed my little trip there. I wish someone else could go there with me so we could have a mock-photoshoot. :#haha#: Maybe next time. :;
):
Venus
Posing like a swan

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:56 pm
We'll make it happen the next time you're in London! :;
): Is a uke case a good substitute? :#haha#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:49 pm
Awesome thread idea Sylwia! :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#:

Maybe one day I will get to London... *sigh* :#sadlove#:
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 am
This is glorious! Surprised :#notworthy#: :#notworthy#: :#notworthy#:

Sara (luckym) and I had about a day and half in London last May, so not sure if we would have been able to hit these places up on top of the usual tourist attractions. :#haha#: Next time!! :#cheer#: Razz

I love how they've done so much in so many cities across the world**. :#heart#:

[size=85:3k0d14pg]**Ok, world = NZ, North America, and Europe.
luckym
My shadow played a bass clarinet

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:57 am
onlyalways wrote:Sara (luckym) and I had about a day and half in London last May, so not sure if we would have been able to hit these places up on top of the usual tourist attractions. :#haha#: Next time!! :#cheer#: Razz
Yes! Next time! :#happyyes#: :#cheer#:

I'm really glad you got to visit these places, Sylwia! :#aziz#:
emira
emira

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:52 am
Venus wrote:Is a uke case a good substitute? :#haha#:

As long as you can lean on it :#haha#:

Amily wrote:Maybe one day I will get to London... *sigh* :#sadlove#:
You will :#cheer#: :#hug#:

And maybe one day I will get to NYC :#sadlove#: and L.A. :#sadlove#: and Canada :#sadlove#: and New Zealand :#sadlove#: and....... Razz

luckym wrote:
onlyalways wrote:Sara (luckym) and I had about a day and half in London last May, so not sure if we would have been able to hit these places up on top of the usual tourist attractions. :#haha#: Next time!! :#cheer#: Razz
Yes! Next time! :#happyyes#: :#cheer#:

:#cheer#: But I'm sure you've seen some places from the BBC radio show. Smile

The station is at the end of Portland Place which is the continuation of Regent Street further to the north. Walking along the streets I passed Top Shop / Top Man and I instantly thought about your t-shirt for Bret. :#aziz#:
emira
emira

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:05 am
This place already looks familiar, doesn't it?

[align=center:2z11vsf8]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0095.jpg[/align:2z11vsf8]

but here you can see The BT Tower. It's very close to Great Portland Street.

[align=center:2z11vsf8]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0096.jpg[/align:2z11vsf8]

I don't know where these photos were taken. Maybe on the balcony of their hotel room or the photographer's apartment? :#shrug#:

[align=center:2z11vsf8]FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK L_5dadd9e0f1724f03939dbe8279e564bd-1.jpg

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK L_8c70680c7416428296bb177ec63b0281.jpg[/align:2z11vsf8]
gezyka
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:33 pm
Great thread, Sylwia! FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Excitedclap3.gif

Back in March while hanging out with some WTFers at SXSW, LaDonna and I were talking about how there needs to be a similar map/guide for Austin. :;
D: She knows the city way better than I of course, so hopefully this will inspire her! Maybe we could get a thread going...I know there are some photos in the FF/GB thread. :#aziz#:

Oh, and how about one for your neck of the woods, LA Flighties? :#idea#: :#cheer#:
luckym
My shadow played a bass clarinet

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 am
gezyka wrote:Oh, and how about one for your neck of the woods, LA Flighties? :#idea#: :#cheer#:
That's a good idea! We should definitely do that sometime! :#happyyes#:
emira
emira

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 am
[align=center:1gtpzkg1]:#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#: for the Austin and LA maps :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#:

*****[/align:1gtpzkg1]

For anyone who would like to visit Scotland, some information about the Conchords' Edinburgh locations.

[url=http:
//www.
thecavesedinburgh.
com/:1gtpzkg1]The Caves[/url:1gtpzkg1]
8-12 Niddry Street South
Edinburgh
EH1 1NS

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Caves-mainpic.gif

The Caves is an exciting truly unique, atmospheric wedding venue situated in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town. Its huge arches, that support Edinburgh's South Bridge, form a multitude of unique and diverse function rooms.

From the main vault whose stage is overlooked by a spacious balcony, to vaulted rooms that still contain the remains of buildings that predate the South Bridge itself, this atmospheric venue speaks for itself.

The multiple possibilities of the space mean that we can host everything from live music events, club nights, weddings, corporate entertainment, ceilidhs, Burn's suppers, private parties, themed events, theatre, private dining.....the list is endless...!

This amazing and fantastically unique venue will wow your guests.

Winner of The Best Small Venue
in The Scottish Events Awards, 2009

The Conchords played there every year from 2002 to 2004 at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK 8521_126834614243_115340104243_2289.jpg

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK N592715312_4480206_8608.jpg

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK N592715312_4480220_3164.jpg

If there are other places they performed in Edinburgh, please let me know. Smile

In [url=The Living Room (clip 2)][/url]...
FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK Phonebox.gif
...you can see the Conchords walking around the main streets of [url=Edinburgh][/url]. So, if you visit this city, I'm sure you'll walk along [url=Princess Street][/url] or around [url=The Royal Mile][/url] and see [url=The National Gallery of Scotland][/url], [url=The Talbot Rice Gallery][/url] and other tourist attractions seen in the video.
emira
emira

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:25 am
Back to London:

They performed Lonely Knights program at [url=Soho Theatre][/url] for ten sold-out nights in 2004, right after The Fringe. According to [url=this article][/url], it was their first London run.

[url=http:
//www.
sohotheatre.
com/:2qg9rtee]Soho Theatre[/url:2qg9rtee]
21 Dean Street
London
W1D 3NE

[size=120:2qg9rtee]Flight of the Conchords

New Zealand's fourth most popular folk parody duo.
8 - 18 September 2004

Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie chat and sing their way through a series of original songs that celebrate the unlikely and the preposterous to equally rollicking effect.

Nominated, Perrier Award, Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2003.
Nominated, Barry Award, Melbourne Comedy Festival 2003 .
Best Newcomers, Melbourne Comedy Festival 2003 .

'It's a rare act that unites audiences, critics and comedians... Flight of the Conchords are just such an act.'
The Independent

'a deliciously witty tapestry of mickey-taking songs and dead-pan banter.'
The Telegraph

'Greeted like rock gods... with their superior wordplay, virtuoso musicality and superbly gormless banter, they've taken comedy songs to a whole new level.'
The Guardian

'Not one slack moment, not a moment that doesn't incite a grin, giggle or gasp.'
The Scotsman

FOTC Walking Tour in London and other places in the UK DSC_0399.jpg

but if you scroll down [url=here][/url] to 2004, you'll read the Conchords performed at the Amused Moose comedy club a year before.

[url=http:
//www.
amusedmoose.
com/:2qg9rtee]Amused Moose Soho[/url:2qg9rtee]
Moonlighting Nightclub,
17 Greek Street, London W1D 4DR
(Tubes: Tottenham Court Rd /
Leicester Sq)

:#shrug#:
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum