36 posters
Go down
boomqueen
boomqueen
I'll nibble chips off your hips

The Video Kid Empty The Video Kid

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:06 pm
[image]

In 2004 Bret released a solo album under the alias The Video Kid, called Prototype. Its been considered an electronic-folk sound that's been explored by New Zealand artists. I have yet to hear it myself but it is available for purchase online. I plan to eventually buy it, until then if anyone has heard any tracks or owns the album please post your opinion.

Here is a "
background"
on The Video Kid taken from

The Video Kid's story began in 1983 when his father was working for Toshiba home entertainment systems... A freak accident involving solder, pineapple juice and a circuit board fused certain hitec components with human tissue... A few miami coolers, an unexpected jacuzzi, and 16 months later The Video Kid was born.

At first the doctors did not know what to make of him. On one hand he was a child but on the other he was a VCR. His genetic makeup was as different to humans as beta is to vhs...

In his early years he was a social outkast accepted by neither humans or video cassettes. He lived in a lonely world of video game arcades and shopping mall food courts. But what at first seemed like a cruel twist of fate was infact a blessing in disguise.

The Video Kid just needed an outlet stronger than 240v for his hifi potential and he found that place in the studio. For in the studio he was able to marry his two sides - He could use his playback and dubbin' powers as well as his human flavaz to make hits with that b-b-bounce, hits that connected with minds and dancefloors in his local.

He had finally found a use for his inherent gifts and he was thrilled, working all day and night to produce music with that unmistakeable VK sound.

The video kid knows that 4 headz are better than 2 - So the video kid calls on those nicam components who know what time it is without checking their lcd displays... Players from Fat Freddys Drop, The Phoenix Foundation, Twinset, Age Pryor, The Black Seeds, Flash Harry and Dub Connection all contribute to the mix.

Get ready to eject that old played out 6th generation cassette you've been boppin to and pop Prototype in yo system.

Last edited by 3 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
boomqueen
boomqueen

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:37 pm
I Found a song! Finally! The song is called Video Kid. Check it out. You can download it off this site...just hit Listen on the right of the section with the Video Kid CD.

Last edited by 3 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 pm
its better than i thought it would be. i would buy the cd
boomqueen
boomqueen

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 pm
I expected it to be amazing, and it was...but I'm probably not the best judge lol
mistysquarepants
Smokin' with an eye that's broken

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:42 pm
I loved it
boomqueen
boomqueen

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 pm
Yay! I want to hear the rest of the cd even more now! I have to buy it before its not around anymore lol
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 pm
I think it's pretty good. I've only heard the song once so far so I'll have to give you my real opinion after I listen to it a few more times. Smile
boomqueen
boomqueen

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 pm
Thanks to the wonderful people of conchords.net there is an actual music video of The Video Kid- DJz Girlfriend!! Check it out below!

boomqueen
boomqueen

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:41 pm
He's so damn cute in that video! It's hot...I wish the sound quality was better though. I think I like the DJz Girlfriend song better than Video Kid I think....probably because it has a video and I can actually see Bret singing it hehe.

The Video Kid's music is different...it's cool, unique...I think so anyway.
boomqueen
boomqueen

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:41 am
Woohoo! I ordered Prototype tonight on amazon for only $21 after shipping! I never order stuff online so I hope to god I get it in perfect condition and fast! lol I am watching the Black Seeds 'Into the Dojo' cd on ebay right now...so I may have it ordered in 5 days!!

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 pm
Prototype is one of my favorite CDs. I play it all the time. ALL THE TIME. I didn't think I would like it, I expected it to be some electronica crap I would listen to once and never put on again, but I was pleasantly surprised. One of the best musical purchases that I've ever made.
boomqueen
boomqueen

Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 pm
I still haven't gotten it yet but when I do, I have a feeling I will be listening to it non-stop as well. I'm not a fan of electronica crap either lol, but what I have heard of this cd so far sounds like so much more. It's really a unique style...I'm impressed.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 am
It's very unique. I think my favorite thing about it is that it's upbeat enough that I can listen to it while I'm cleaning the house or messing around on the computer, but it's also mellow enough that I can listen to it while I fall asleep. I can't fall asleep in a totally silent room so I sleep with my ipod, and there are a few songs on Prototype that have a really lovely mellow vibe with Bret's soothing voice. It's great. I usually listen to this or the BBC series when I go to sleep. Smile
boomqueen
boomqueen

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:11 am
mmmm I can't wait to fall asleep to Video Kid's soothing voice and sexy mellow beats lol

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:08 am
LOL. You're going to melt when you hear "
Slip Away"
. MELT.
boomqueen
boomqueen

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:48 pm
Yessss! Damn cd just can't get here fast enough!
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 pm
It's heeeeere!! LOL
boomqueen
boomqueen

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm
OMG I'M IN LOVE WITH IT!!! <
3<
3<
3<
boomqueen
boomqueen

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 pm
My heart is liquid...it melted when I heard 'Slip Away'...I almost want to cry but Ami is sitting right next to me and I don't want her to make fun of me! lol

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:36 am

My heart is liquid...it melted when I heard 'Slip Away'

I TOLD YOU SO! Isn't it great? ;<br />D I love "
Slip Away"
. My favorites are "
Crime Scene"
and "
Dawnskate"
though.
boomqueen
boomqueen

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:35 am
I'd say crime scene is one of my favorites as well, although I haven't had much chance to listen to it yet. I couldn't fall asleep to it because I don't have a cd player or ipod right now! Sad

Last edited by 3 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:44 am
Oh, that's too bad. It's still relaxing though, isn't it?

I listened to it yesterday while I was sitting in the doctor's office and looking out the window. It was much better than the soap operas they had playing on the television.
caiknbake
caiknbake
PANTIES ON

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:50 pm
this is really cool...i like the two songs you guys posted on here, and i'm gonna have to get this cd at some point. i would get it now if i wasn't bankrupt from all the fotc-related stuff i've bought in the last few weeks lol. the music part of it reminds me a little of the band the postal service. for those of you who've heard the album all the way through, do you think that's true of more of the tracks too?

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:35 pm
I never could get into The Postal Service, so I don't really know.

Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 am
Bret signed my CD for me in Chicago. It was already my favorite thing ever, but now:

[image]

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]
Sponsored content

The Video Kid Empty Re: The Video Kid

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum